Thursday, April 15, 2010

First Strike: Splinter Cell Conviction


To kick things off for the site, I'm going to give my First Strike. What's a First Strike you might ask? A First Strike is our first thoughts on a video game, usually after getting the game in our hands. These are usually the first or second hour of playing a game and expressing how we'll about the game so far. With that out of the way let's get started.
--------------------------------

In the first hour of Splinter Cell Conviction you get a sense that Sam Fisher doesn't want to be in spy business any more but is dragged back thanks to Third Echelon teasing him with hints of how he can find his daughter's killer. They really want to bring the player into the world of Splinter Cell from the get go with a quick tutorial on basic moves and tactics. This section would have seemed to go on too quickly if it wasn't for the fact I have played the previous Splinter Cells.

But at the same time this entry in the series is not like the rest. They want you to be more aggressive and getting seen by enemies can work to your advantage. With this new take on Splinter Cell I find it to be refreshing and exciting all at once. So far everything I've played through has allowed me to mess up but recover by hiding and taking out enemies when they go to my last know position.

This also makes the game feel easier overall so far. I'm not that deep in, only playing about an hour but I feel like there needs to be a harder difficulty( I'm playing on the hardest at the moment) because I've been able to run out of near death situations with barely a scratch on Sam.

Overall, Splinter Cell Conviction is fun and exciting. The AI needs some work, but hopefully they become a challenge later on.

Check for my full review sometime in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment